Tuesday 28 September 2010

Photo burblings

So when did it all begin for me? When did I start taking photos? What do I like to photograph?

I took my first photos when I was a child. I don't know how old I was, I suspect I could find out. I was shown the basics at that early age by "Dawsie" as I called her, her real name was Mrs Dawson. She was great. She had spent most of her life in Africa, Kenya mainly iirc. Her big passions were photography, wildlife and cooking.

It's a shame she died before she could see that I had grown up sharing those three passions.

Around the same time that Dawsie was teaching me all about the 3 important things in life, my parents decided to get a new camera for themselves, so I could use my Dad's old Kodak Instamatix. A film (analogue) camera. 

I have got a few of the photos from these days, but most of them have been lost... I will find what I have and upload these at some stage, for your amusement.

As time went by, I became the photographer for family events, friends, etc.

In the last few years I have been asked why I am not a 100% Pro-photographer....

My working life began in a kitchen and through various mishaps and adventures has progressed through to my current role in the corporate rat-race... It would seem that the definition of a professional photographer is that 50% or more of one's income comes from photography.

I'm not there yet, but really striving to get there now.

So the photos I do have on-line, where are they? I use Flickr at the moment, as I have unlimited storage, for a small amount each year.. The other joy of Flickr is that I have been getting lots of great feedback on my work. It also has lots of extensions, of which my current favourite is Darkr. This link will take you straight to my photos, as sorted by Darkr. My photos have been sorted by "interestingness" I know it's not a proper word, it's a Flickr word.. It doesn't mean most viewed, but factors in comments and favourited images.

All my photos on Flickr - here

My most interesting 20 photos - here

No comments:

Post a Comment